Volkswagen profit surges to $21bn
Frankfurt, February 25, 2012
Volkswagen, Europe's biggest carmaker, said it more than doubled net profit last year as worldwide sales topped the eight-million mark for the first time.
VW, whose brands include Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT and Skoda, said it booked net profit of 15.799 billion euros ($21.2 billion) in 2011, up from 7.266 billion euros in 2010.
After payments to minority shareholders, the bottom-line profit stood at 15.4 billion euros, compared with 6.835 billion euros a year earlier, it said.
Operating profit raced ahead by 57.8 per cent to 11.27 billion euros.
Deliveries to customers topped the 8m mark for the first time, rising by 14.7 per cent to 8.265 million vehicles and revenues rose by 25.6 per cent to 159.34 billion euros.
In comparison with other carmakers, that places VW ahead of Japan's Toyota in terms of unit sales last year, but still behind US giant General Motors.
In the wake of its strong performance, VW said it would pay an increased dividend of three euros per ordinary share and 3.06 euros per preference share for 2011, compared with the 2010 payout of 2.20 euros and 2.26 euros respectively.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Rising luxury car sales drives tuning industry
- Global debut for Audi RS 5 model
- New taxi laws to curb accidents in Abu Dhabi
- Traffic chaos fear in Bahrain
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service