Bahrain slams 'scaremongering' over F1 race
Abu Dhabi, April 11, 2012
Bahrain Grand Prix organisers summoned support for the upcoming Formula One race in teh kingdom and said a campaign for it to be cancelled was being driven by 'armchair observers' and 'extremist groups'.
The Bahrain International Circuit produced witness statements from foreign observers, including two members of the Lotus team, and the British ambassador to the kingdom in defence of the April 22 race.
It said a briefing by the Lotus representatives had been sent to all 12 team principals on April 5 and ahead of this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai, where a final decision is expected.
There have been increasingly vocal calls for the race to be cancelled however, with one unnamed team principal telling Britain's Guardian newspaper that all the teams were hoping the governing FIA would call off the race.
'Yes, there is a need to keep the circuit and the teams secure and they are doing this and they feel very comfortable about the arrangements,' the Lotus report said in excerpts reproduced in the Bahrain circuit statement.
'If there is going to be protestation then it will be confined to peaceful protests - you will maybe see some banners being waved and maybe some tyres on fire but that is all they expect.
'We came away from Bahrain feeling a lot more confident that everything is in hand,' it added. 'If it wasn't for a few more police you wouldn't know any difference from last we were there.'
Last year's race had to be cancelled due to the unrest after an initial postponement and the last race there was in 2010.
The circuit statement also quoted John Yates, a former assistant commissioner in the London Metropolitan police who now advises Bahrain's Interior Ministry, as saying policing would be low-key and discreet.
'There is nothing that in any way warrants for the race to be postponed,' he added.
Circuit chairman Zayed Al Zayani said in a statement that 'armchair observers' had been driving the debate at the expense of neutral parties 'who have taken the trouble to investigate the situation at first hand.
'This, combined with the scaremongering tactics of certain small extremist groups on social networking sites, has created huge misconceptions about the current situation,' he added.
He urged all stakeholders in the sport to 'listen to those with an informed, educated view of the situation and to form their view on the facts of the situation as presented by neutral first-hand observers.'
The governing International Automobile Federation has said it is in daily contact with foreign embassies and authorities in Bahrain while F1's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone is eager for the race to go ahead.
Al Zayani said last month that the race contributes $220 million directly to the local economy and $400-500 million indirectly. - Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners
- Infiniti to appoint Al Ghassan as Saudi dealer