GM sees Middle East sales up 4pc
Manama, April 11, 2012
General Motors said its dealers in the Middle East region had reported total sales of 31,154 vehicles in the first quarter, up four per cent compared to the same period last year.
The strong sales result represented GM Middle East's highest first-quarter sales period since 2008 due to growing demand for the company's rejuvenated line-up of passenger cars and crossovers.
The sales of GM's new passenger cars, comprising the Chevrolet Spark, Sonic and Cruze, more than doubled in the first quarter.
The line-up was strengthened in March with the launch of the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu mid-size sedan, which will further grow passenger car sales during the remainder of 2012.
Crossover sales increased 75 per cent year-over-year in the first quarter, driven by sales of the recently launched Chevrolet Captiva, up 221 per cent, Cadillac SRX up 76 per cent and GMC Terrain, which achieved its highest ever sales month in March since its launch a year ago.
Sales of GM's full-size SUVs and pickups increased by 39 per cent and 51 per cent, respectively. These sales were driven by the Chevrolet Tahoe full-size SUV up 50 per cent and the GMC Sierra full-size pickup which was up 67 per cent.
The other first quarter highlights include a 44pc year-over-year sales increase for GMC and a 37 per cent sales gain for Cadillac.
Sales of GM's luxury brand were driven by the new Cadillac SRX up 76 per cent, the CTS up 54 per cent and the region's most popular full-size luxury SUV, the Escalade up 36 per cent.
'Within a short period of time we have revamped almost our entire passenger car and crossover line-ups,' said GM Middle East operations president and managing director John Stadwick.
'With more vehicles planned for launch this year, we are confident that we will continue to grow sales in the region,' he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi