Kia posts 15.5pc sales growth in May
Dubai, June 10, 2012
Kia Motors Corporation has announced its global sales figures for passenger cars, recreational vehicles and commercial vehicles for May 2012, recording a total of 240,000 units sold, a 15.5 per cent year-on-year increase.
In May, Kia posted year-on-year sales increases in all regions of the world – 28.3 per cent in Europe (52,794 units sold); 21.1 per cent in China (40,723 units sold); 14.0 per cent in general markets (45,502 units sold); 9.2 per cent in North America (60,231 units sold); and 7.2 per cent in (40,750 units sold) in Korea.
Cumulatively through the first five months, Kia’s global sales have increased by 11.9 per cent year-on-year to reach 1,106,041 units. Europe, North America and China have experienced the highest cumulative gains to date in 2012 of 25.8 per cent (231,046 units sold), 18.9 per cent (268,897 units sold), and 16.7 per cent (197,991 units sold), respectively.
Kia’s best selling model in overseas markets for the month of May was the B-segment Rio (known as ‘K2’ in China) with 42,447 units sold. The Sportage compact CUV was the second best seller with 32,262 units delivered, while the C-segment Cerato (known as ‘Forte’ in some markets), D-segment Optima sedan and Sorento mid-size CUV followed with 30,695, 23,494, and 19,534 units sold, respectively.
Tae-Hyun Oh, executive vice president & COO, Kia Motors Corporation, said: “Having surpassed the 1 million annual global sales mark faster than ever before in our history, we are well on track to meet our full-year sales target of 2.7 million units.”
“Our performance has been especially encouraging in Europe and we expect the recent introduction of the all-new cee’d as well as our sponsorship of this month’s Euro 2012 football championships to add further momentum to the Kia brand in our fastest growing region of 2012,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- New taxi laws to curb accidents in Abu Dhabi
- Traffic chaos fear in Bahrain
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models