Volvo unveils car with pedestrian airbag
Amman, June 17, 2012
Mahmoudia Motors, the sole and official dealer of Volvo in Jordan, has launched Volvo’s V40, the first car in the world to feature pedestrian airbag technology.
The Volvo V40 brings an unprecedented level of safety on the road to help reduce the number of fatalities and serious injuries involving pedestrians, a statement said.
Employing sophisticated technology, the pedestrian airbag system activates at driving speeds between 20 and 50km/h in keeping with research showing that 75 per cent of all accidents involving pedestrians take place at up to 40kmph.
Sensors embedded in the front of the car trigger the deployment of an airbag upon impact with a pedestrian’s legs, thus cushioning the hard parts around the windscreen area to reduce injuries.
“As one the world’s safest car brands, Volvo continues to raise the bar when it comes to industry safety standards. The new pedestrian airbag is the next step in Volvo’s blueprint for creating cars that account for the wellbeing of passengers, pedestrians and the surrounding environment,” said Marouf Badran, Mahmoudia Motors’ Volvo brand manager.
“Mahmoudia Motors will be introducing the V40 in Jordan soon as Volvo’s official and exclusive dealer.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- F1 clinches Mideast TV rights deal
- Daimler gets Aston Martin stake in engine supply deal
- Hyundai Elantra sales jump 90pc in UAE
- Jeddah gears up for Saudi motor show
- ALJ plans big car assembly plant in Saudi
- Infiniti launches new models in Lebanon
- UAE Dial-A-Battery services in big demand
- Honda recalls Acura sedans over loose bolts
- Lincoln MKZ makes Bahrain debut
- Monster trucks drive motor show success