Mercedes-Benz bags two Mema awards
Dubai, December 31, 2012
Mercedes-Benz Middle East and Levant recently took home two awards at the third edition of the Middle East Motor Awards 2012 (Mema), held at Expo Centre Sharjah.
Nominated for a total of six awards, Mercedes-Benz dominated the premium SUV category, receiving Memas for Best Premium Large SUV for the ML 350 and Best Performance SUV for the ML 63 AMG, whilst the GLK reached the top three for Best Premium Mid-size SUV.
The Mercedes-Benz M-Class was the only SUV model to win in more than one Mema category, a statement from the company said. With AMG sports styling as standard, three potent engine options, unparalleled ride comfort, and cavernous, high-quality luxury interiors - the bold new M-Class confidently conveys intent to meet performance with sophistication.
Scooping the Best Performance SUV, the new Mercedes-Benz ML 63 AMG continues to astound with its extraordinary combination of effortlessly superior drive system, distinctive design, unparalleled safety and exceptional comfort, the statement said.
Going from zero to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds, the high-performance SUV is provided by the AMG 5.5-litre V8 biturbo engine with a maximum power output of 525 hp and a peak torque of 700 newton metres.
The AMG ride control sports suspension with newly developed active curve system for active roll stabilisation, the AMG-specific design and the broad scope of standard equipment and appointments make for a highly attractive overall package, it said.
Craig Hardie, CEO automotive, Zawawi Trading Company, said: “Our cars have long been acknowledged by our customers in the region for their prestige and unrivalled luxury in class. As we have ignited the 2012 ‘Year of the SUV and AMG’ with the launch of a completely redesigned and powerful new M-Class, we are wrapping up the year in the same excitement, with the bold ML 350 and the powerful ML 63 AMG crowned with two Memas.“
“The awards further galvanise Mercedes-Benz position as the leading automotive manufacturer in the luxury segment for the Middle East and Levant.”
Dr Mohammed Ben Sulayem, vice-president of FIA Middle East and President of the Automobile and Touring Club UAE is the official patron of Mema.
The awards were judged by a panel of distinguished automotive experts, from 10 countries, including Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and the UAE; and presented by Saif Mohammed Al Midfa, director-general of Expo Centre Sharjah.
In addition to the Mema 2012 titles, the M-Class has claimed the Auto Bild Design Awards 2012 title of the most attractive vehicle in the SUV/Vans/All-wheel drive category, in a poll by leading German car magazine, Auto Bild.
The ML 350, ML 63 AMG and GLK are available at the Mercedes-Benz showroom in Muscat. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners