Daimler gets Aston Martin stake in engine supply deal
London, December 21, 2013
Germany's Daimler said it will receive up to a 5 per cent stake in luxury sports carmaker Aston Martin in exchange for supplying engines and electronic components to the 100-year-old British firm.
Aston Martin will team up with the German car maker's high-performance Mercedes-AMG GmbH division to develop a new generation of bespoke V8 engines for its sports cars.
The deal will help Aston Martin, the only global luxury carmaker not attached to a larger manufacturer, spread the cost of developing new fuel-efficient vehicles.
Daimler will receive non-voting shares in Aston Martin, owned by Kuwaiti and private equity investors, in several steps as the technical partnership progresses, the companies said on Thursday. They began negotiating the deal in July.
The two car makers also plan to cooperate on the supply of electronic and electric components.
Daimler will get observer status on the Aston Martin Holdings board as part of the deal.
Existing Aston Martin shareholders include Italian private equity fund Investindustrial, Kuwait-based Adeem Investment and Prime Wagon.
Aston Martin has struggled to fund the development of a range of new vehicles while rivals like Bentley, which is owned by Volkswagen, and Rolls Royce, which is owned by BMW have the ability to draw on the resources of their parent firms.
It reported a 9 percent fall in 2012 profit when it sold around 3,800 cars, around 10 percent fewer than the previous year.-Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners
- Infiniti to appoint Al Ghassan as Saudi dealer