Bapco denies odours came from its refinery
Manama, February 2, 2010
Bahrain government-owned Bahrain Petroleum (Bapco) has categorically refuted allegations that odours which spread in many parts of the Kingdom originated from its refinery.
Bapco shares with citizens and residents the suffering from odours, but confirmed its full compliance with highest international standards of safety and environment, a statement said.
When the first complaints were received early in the afternoon of February 1, the company responded promptly to the enquiries by establishing a team of senior manager to investigate them, the statement said.
The team worked speedily and diligently throughout the afternoon and well into the evening to ensure that all possibilities were explored thoroughly, according to the statement.
Several rigorous checks of all refinery operations were performed and no sources of odour were found. A minor and brief upset occurred early evening, well after the first complaints had been received, but this was well-controlled and could not have released the odour, the statement elaborated.
Operations continued to be monitored by senior personnel late into the evening to ensure that operations were normal, the statement added. – TradeArabia News Service