Bapco cover-up claims denied
Manama, November 19, 2011
Bahrain National Oil and Gas Authority (Noga) authorities have denied claims of cover-up over Bapco's role during the recent unrest.
The company had exerted sincere efforts during these exceptional and unprecedented circumstances, Noga stated.
It also rejected reports that Bapco's executive management approved a strike during the crisis.
There was no connivance with the strikers, Noga said in reply to a report by a parliamentary probe committee on alleged shortcomings and irregularities committed by Bapco during the period.
The strike was called by the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions, and has been condemned as illegal by Bapco, it pointed out.
Noga also clarified that an emergency action plan had been put in place as a result of which neither oil production nor fuel supply had been affected during the unrest in February and March this year, reports our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej.
Supplies to the Interior Ministry's planes were not hit, Noga said. There were also no power or water cuts during the unrest, it added.
The company has also denied existence of any workshops manufacturing swords.
None of Bapco's employees or officials were involved in any incident when the kingdom's national flag was lowered, Noga said.
It also rejected claims that Bapco had lost $50 million and the only stoppage at the refinery was for maintenance.-TradeArabia News Service