Friday 25 July 2014
 
»
 
»
$1.6bn POWER PROJECT

Egypt/Saudi grid tenders to be launched in 2014

Cairo, December 12, 2013

Tenders for a $1.6 billion power grid that will enable Egypt and Saudi Arabia to share electricity will be launched early next year and construction will start in 2015, Egypt's electricity and energy ministry said on Thursday.

"Beginning 2014 the tenders for implementation will start to be launched... Actual implementation on the ground will not start before 2015," ministry spokesman Latham Khalil said, adding that construction would take two years to complete.

The project aims to allow power trading between two countries. Peak-time summer power consumption in Saudi Arabia falls between noon and mid afternoon, when air conditioners are used most intensively, while in Egypt the peak is after sunset.

The project will allow the countries to share up to 3,000 megawatts. Egypt will cover around 40 per cent of the cost while Saudi Arabia will cover the remaining 60 per cent.-Reuters




Tags: Saudi Arabia | Egypt | Power grid |

More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads

Buy high quality China wholesale Health & Beauty , Electronics, Sports & Outdoors , Computers, Video Games, Toys & Hobbies Cell Phones, Automobiles and other wholesale products directly from reliable Chinese wholesalers or Factories on DHgate.com