Enough watching movies, now let smell it
Dubai, December 22, 2013
Dubai-based Majid Al Futtaim Cinemas is set to redefine the movie-going experience in the UAE with the launch of sensational 4DX system that lets audience see, hear, feel and smell their way through all the latest blockbusters.
4DX was first launched in 2010 at Seoul by CJ 4DPlex, a South Korean firm. And since then over 600 million people worldwide have experienced movies with a fourth dimension, in 80 locations across 22 countries.
Majid Al Futtaim Cinemas, in partnership with CJ 4DPlex, will offer this innovative cinema experience to Dubai on December 26, when the first 4DX enabled sensory cinemas will open at Mirdif City Centre and Deira City Centre.
The company plans to open at least at two more locations next year throught its arm VOX Cinemas.
VOX Cinemas is the Middle East’s most innovative and customer-focused cinema experience featuring high-resolution digital projection systems, immersive digital 3D content, expansive VOX MAX screens, as well as premium VIP, VOX GOLD and value-oriented seating alternatives.
VOX 4DX offers a complete sensory experience to the latest blockbusters, and lends itself perfectly to high-action movies. Cinema-goers can look forward to VOX 4DX screenings of Jack Ryan starring Kevin Costner and Chris Pine on January 16 and the eagerly awaited I, Frankenstein with Aaron Eckhart on January 23, at both Deira City Centre and Mirdif City Centre, a statement said.
The concept has been hugely popular, and this year alone 4DX screens have opened in Croatia, India, Venezuela, Ukraine, and now here in the UAE. An additional 90 screens are scheduled to open globally next year, and there are plans to expand to 300 screens by the end of 2015, said a top official.
“The launch of 4DX in the UAE is absolutely ground-breaking - movie-goers in the region will have never experienced anything like this before in their lives,” remarked Cameron Mitchell, the CEO of Majid Al Futtaim Cinemas.
"Cinema in the UAE is about to enter an entirely new dimension. 4DX, the most immersive, engaging and sensational cinema-going experience you have ever had, and its launching exclusively with VOX Cinemas," he stated.
"Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be in a mid-air battle with Iron Man, to feel Katniss Everdeen’s arrow speed past your face, or how it smells inside a Hobbit’s home? Audiences will feel like they are a part of the movie, surrounded by the effects," he noted.
"We are delighted that VOX has been able to partner with CJ 4DPLEX from Korea to bring this incredible concept exclusively to the UAE audience," he added.
"Gone are the days of simply sitting back to watch a movie – with 4DX, all five senses are engaged, making audiences feel like they are a part of the movie itself. The seats are fitted with multiple motion simulators, perfectly synchronised with the on-screen action," explained Mitchell.
"Movie-goers will feel every jolt and tremor along with the characters on the big screen. Specially fitted mechanics around the seats mimic exactly the on-screen environment, making it possible to experience fog, rain, wind and even thunder and lightning, all in the comfort of the theatre. Finally, guests can also sniff their way through the movie - various scents are programmed to waft under your nose, enhancing the experience and complementing what viewers see on-screen," he added.
Byung Hwan Choi, the CEO of CJ 4DPLEX, said the company was pleased to introduce a premium 4DX experience for the first time in the Middle East through its partnership with VOX Cinemas.
“With 4DX, which appeals to all five senses, VOX Cinemas will reinforce its position as a landmark theater in the region, making movie going an entirely new experience,” he stated.
Mitchell said VOX Cinemas prides itself on bringing the latest and the most innovative movie concepts to the region - and there is no doubt that 4DX is the most exciting one we have ever introduced.
“We are certain that the concept will be incredibly popular here in the UAE. Our audiences have an insatiable appetite for innovation, and 4DX will not disappoint. This amazing technology has pushed the boundaries of cinema-going and it offers an entirely new and exciting prospect - for film-makers and audiences alike,” he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Analysis, Interviews, Opinions Stories
- Arab Spring boosts demand for bulletproof cars
- New engine, new rules and new sound for F1 in 2014
- Qatar rift a pivotal test for GCC
- Lufthansa to offer in-flight movies on smartphones
- Gulf's rift over Qatar may slow investment, reforms
- GCC insurance industry on a stable footing
- Turning charisma into cash: Bernanke's 40 minutes
- 'Healthy' role for private sector needed
- Riyadh, Jeddah among world’s cheapest cities
- US oil export ban could be lifted piecemeal
- Bill Gates with $76bn is world's richest again
- Mideast leads global luxury shopping spend
- ME firms facing ‘record level of cyber attack’
- Clubbing business with leisure and community work
- $27bn capital shortfall facing regional banks
- Obama, wary of foreign crises, faces new Ukraine test
- The brief reign of bitcoin's top exchange
- Iran's fleet back in business as exports pick up
- New food labels to combat obesity
- Dubai says has learned lessons from crisis
- Mt Gox bitcoin customers' money 'virtually gone'
- Now, Bond-style Smartphone from Boeing
- Top trends in workforce management for 2014
- Syrian exporters try to revive businesses
- Saudi spending potential narrowly based
- Obesity becoming the new norm in Europe
- Mobile privacy sells in post-Snowden world
- Morocco aims to quadruple farmland leases by 2020
- WhatsApp? No sign of Goldman Sachs
- Region ‘still dominated by expat workforce’