DIC buys stake in Rivoli
Dubai, September 24, 2007
Dubai International Capital (DIC), an investment agency for the ruler of the emirate, has bought a "significant" stake in Dubai-based luxury retailer Rivoli Group.
DIC, which manages as much as $7 billion of assets which include Britain's Travelodge hotel chain, said the investment is part of a strategy to support Middle Eastern, family-owned businesses looking to grow.
Rivoli, set up in 1988, operates 215 stores in five Gulf states, including the UAE, Kuwait and Qatar, selling goods such as luxury watches, eye glasses and writing materials, according to a DIC statement.
"DIC's regional strategy is focussed on supporting established family owned businesses that have an excellent track record of successful expansion and which possess attractive growth potential," DIC chief executive officer Sameer al-Ansari said in the statement.
DIC did not say how much of Rivoli it bought or how much it paid for the stake.
"The regional luxury good market is vibrant and continues to demonstrate favourable growth prospects, particularly for luxury watches," Ansari said. - Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet