Alexandria Centre attracts 11.5m shoppers
Alexandria, Egypt, May 22, 2008
Alexandria City Centre, Egypt’s landmark shopping destination, welcomed an overwhelming 11.5 million shoppers in 2007.
The total mall sales for the year also saw a 19 per cent increase over 2006, said an official spokesman after the company’s Annual General Meeting.
“The year 2007 has indeed been a very successful year for us. We strive to provide our customers with a complete shopping experience to keep them coming back for more. I am therefore not surprised with the visitor numbers. We are looking at 2008 as another milestone year that will see exciting changes both in terms of size and retail offerings at the centre,” said general manager, Alexandria City Centre, Omar Gaafar.
The mall management shared mega expansion plans of the centre with its retailers present at the Annual General Meeting.
To cater to growing demand from both shoppers and retailers, Alexandria City Centre will almost double in size, adding 29,117 square metres of gross leasing space and over 90 additional stores.
The highlight of the meeting were the Annual Retailer Awards where select retailers were recognised in 13 different categories based on excellence criteria such as trading in the business for 12 months or more, sales performance, operational compliance, and participation in the mall’s marketing activities.
“Charles & Keith” and “Vodafone” bagged two awards each. The former won in the Best Customer Service and Best Shoes and Sports Stores categories while the latter was awarded the ‘Retailer of the Year’ and Best Entertainment and Leisure Outlet.
“Carrefour” walked away with the Best Anchor Store of the Year and furniture store “In & Out” won the Best Flagship Store award category. “Starbucks” received the Best Food & Beverage Outlet trophy.
“Esprit” and “Concrete” won the awards for the Best Large and Small Fashion Store respectively while other winners included “Talent” as the Best Home Ware Store, “Mazaya” as the Best Health and Wellbeing Store, “No Name” as the Most Improved Retailer and “Mansi Eyewear” as the Best Jewellery and Accessories Store.- TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet