UAE gaming console sales top $4m
Dubai, August 16, 2008
The UAE gaming console market has achieved Dh17.78 million ($4.650 million) sales from January to May this year with 4.448 million units sold according to Jacky’s Electronics.
The Sony PlayStation 3 is currently the number one gaming console in the Emirates with 59 per cent market share.
Other consoles dominating the market are Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox.
’Since the phase-out of the HD-DVD format in favour of Blu-Ray Discs, Sony PS3’s sales have boosted due to its Blu-Ray technology.
’Nintendo has gained a niche market because of its interactive consoles and with products such as Wii Fit allowing users to exercise while playing,’ said Ashish Panjabi, chief operating officer, Jacky’s Electronics.
’Since the launch at last year’s Gitex of the Xbox Elite, Microsoft has seen resurgence in sales. Other products such as the Sony PSP have also created a new segment of gamers by offering portability, high-quality graphics and sounds.
’Its additional features including MP3 players and fashionable colours of pink and white have targeted women as well,’ he added.
Pro Evolution 6 is presently the best selling game in the UAE with Smack Down VS Raw 2008 ranking second. Halo 3 and FIFA08 are in third and fourth places respectively.
Console-based gaming currently dominates the market and while PC or online-based games are gaining popularity in many parts of the world is still in its infancy in the UAE but can grow in the next five years if vendors such as Dell and HP, which have dedicated gaming PCs such as Alienware and Voodoo respectively, managed to create enough demand.
Software vendors and online gaming content sites for this region also have to develop if PC gaming is to grow.
Meanwhile, to sustain the growing gaming industry in the country, Jacky’s Electronics will be holding its first-ever gaming competition at their Sharjah City Centre outlet on August 29-30, 2008.
’The video gaming industry is making a major effort to broaden the appeal of games and consoles to other segments other than the core players of 8-21 year-old males.
’This gaming competition in Sharjah will help in elevating awareness and reach out to other potential users as well,’ Panjabi said.
The Jacky’s gaming competition, in co-operation with Intel Corporation, is open for all gaming enthusiasts from August 24-27.
The elimination round will happen on August 29 and the final competition will be held on 30th. The grand winner will receive an Intel-powered Gaming Laptop and an Intel-powered Gaming Desktop awaits the second runner up, while all participants will get a free PC game.
Jacky’s Electronics will hold other gaming events in various locations throughout the UAE. - TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet
- Italian fashion brand opens Dubai Mall store