Mideast shoppers flock to UK
Dubai, September 17, 2008
Middle East travellers seem to prefer the United Kingdom for shopping, with Gulf visitors splurging as much as Dh5.4 billion ($1.47 billion) on purchases last year alone, according to the Global Refund Index report.
The UAE, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait top the list in number of shoppers in UK, said a Gulf News report.
The Middle East's retail spend in the UK in August 2008, averaged Dh18,000 worth of goods, a rise of 74 per cent against 2007, with luxury items high on the shopping list.
'Shopping is an essential element of the UK's tourism offering, and we have found that Gulf travellers in particular appreciate and enjoy the high calibre of shopping options offered in the UK, injecting a significant amount of capital into our tourism economy,' said Carol Maddison, marketing manager, Visit Britain UAE.
The UK attracted 514,000 visitors from the Gulf region in 2007.
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet