LG sells 20 million touchscreen mobiles
Dubai, July 2, 2009
LG Electronics (LG) has announced that 20 million of its full touchscreen handsets have been snapped up by users since the product was launched more than two years ago.
The milestone for LG in this fast growing handset category comes just 26 months after unveiling the world’s first full touchscreen mobile phone, the PRADA Phone by LG (LG-KE850), in March 2007, said a statement.
Sales were brisk and the company reached the 10 million unit mark by November 2008. LG’s strategy of introducing a broad range of innovative touchscreen products has appealed to an equally wide audience, it said.
Key to LG’s touchscreen phone success has been its dedication to consumer insights during the planning and design phase. LG made it a top priority to better understand customers’ needs when it came to their mobile phones and this has resulted in handset designs that are almost "tailor-made" to meet the needs of different types of mobile users, said the statement.
The LG Viewty (LG-KU990) is an example of this dedication to customers' needs. A 5.0 megapixel camera phone launched in October of 2007, the Viewty enhances the enjoyment of taking, viewing and editing pictures on its large touchscreen LCD. The Viewty set a high bar for all future touchscreen cameraphones and has led LG's 17 touchscreen models in sales with seven million units.
More recently, LG introduced the Cookie (LG-KP500), which was designed for customers who wanted advanced touch technology at an affordable price. Not surprisingly, Cookie has been extremely popular wherever it has been introduced and the device has nearly reached the three million mark in the seven months since its launch.
“We’ve worked very hard to understand our customers and develop products based on their individual needs,” said H S Paik, president LG Electronics Gulf FZE. “This strategy seems to be working -- we have 20 million satisfied customers and we’re looking forward to 20 million more.”
In an effort to offer a more personalised and upscale experience for its fast-growing customer base, LG developed the 3D S-Class UI which was unveiled in March. The intuitive and fun mobile interface will be introduced on a range of full touchscreen handsets. The first device with S-Class was the LG ARENA (LG-KM900) which sold 300,000 units in just four weeks. Other S-Class interface-equipped models include the 8 megapixel LG Viewty Smart (LG-GC900), the transparent LG-GD900 Crystal and the LG-GM730 smartphone featuring Windows Mobile 6.1. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Jewellery show set to open in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal