Samsung wins 23pc of A4 MFP market in Q2
Dubai, September 24, 2009
Samsung Electronics has captured 23.4 per cent of the global market for A4-sized multifunction printers (MFPs) in the second quarter of 2009, regaining the top position for the first time since the first quarter of 2006, says a report.
In the Middle East and Africa, Samsung Electronics raised its market share for A4 monochrome laser MFPs from 25.7 per cent in the first quarter to 37.3 per cent in the second quarter of 2009, according to market research firm IDC.
It has maintained its status as the top manufacturer in the segment for four years in a row from 2005 through 2008.
Samsung had its best showing in Europe, where it took 35.1 per cent of the market for A4 color laser MFPs and 26.9 per cent for A4 monochrome laser MFPs in the second quarter.
Samsung printers were number one in both segments. In colour laser MFPs, Samsung has maintained the top spot for two straight quarters, while it was the first time since beginning sales of monochrome laser MFPs in Europe that Samsung has topped the marketplace.
Samsung performance was particularly strong in Italy, where both A4 laser printers and MFPs led in terms of number of units sold and revenue generated. Based on units sold, Samsung’s market share by segment was: monochrome laser printers, 39.7 per cent; monochrome MFPs, 47.7 per cent; color laser printers, 45.6 per cent; and color laser MFPs 52.3 per cent.
Combined market share for the four segments rose from 28.9 per cent in 2008 to 44 per cent in the second quarter of 2009, making Samsung the dominant brand for printers in Italy. Based on share of total revenue in the Italian marketplace, Samsung was first across all four types with 35.6 per cent.
In the CIS region, Samsung’s A4 color laser MFPs took a 35.3 per cent market share, giving it the number one market position for eight consecutive quarters since achieving 44 per cent in the second quarter of 2007.
The company also took number one in the A4 monochrome laser MFP market for three consecutive quarters with 30.9 per cent of the market share.
Samsung has placed a strategic focus on developing laser printers due to the high potential for growth in the segment, which IDC projects will outperform inkjet models.
The company put a particular emphasis on MPFs, securing core technologies such as its patented engine structuring and advanced semiconductor solutions to produce a full range of products. Most recently, Samsung has begun to diversify its product lineup of high speed, mid-to-large scale industrial printers to target the large B2B market.
“Our success in the second quarter can be attributed to our targeting of demand for cost-effective printers and solutions during difficult economic times,” said Madhav Narayan, general manager, IT division at Samsung Gulf Electronics.
“Our plan is to continue to provide suitable products and solutions based on the diverse documenting needs and environments of our corporate clients,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Emaar to list shopping malls & retail subsidiary
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ