Damas shuts doors on Italian jewellery unit
Dubai, October 13, 2009
Jewellery group Damas International said on Tuesday it will shut its Italian unit, Stefan Hafner SPA, after its shareholders voted to wind down the loss-making unit.
Damas took over Stefan Hafner, which has flagship stores in Dubai and Moscow as well as locations in Madrid, Barcelona and London, in 2004 and held an 87-percent stake.
"The shareholders have decided to go for voluntary winding up in order to prevent further losses," Damas said in a statement.
Dubai Nasdaq-listed Damas shares were down 0.3 percent, having fallen as much as 13.5 percent earlier in the day.
The UAE firm said the Italian business recorded a loss of 4.2 million euros in its audited balance sheet of December 2008.
Damas said Stefan Hafner accounted for less than 2 percent of its total revenues in 2008/2009. The jeweller said it had booked adequate provisions against the losses in its fiscal year-end results in March, 2009.
Stefan Hafner also designs and distributes jewellery under the Iosi, Porrati and Nouvelle Bague trademarks. - Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector