Saudi retailer's Q1 net profit rises 10pc
Jeddah, April 8, 2010
Higher sales spurred Saudi-based office supplies and electronics retailer Jarir Marketing's net profit by 10 per cent in the first-quarter, putting pressure on the firm to meet a higher growth forecast for this year.
Electronics sales have been driving growth but these products carry lower margins than the other products that Jarir sells, such as books and office supplies, two brokerage firms said commenting the results.
Jarir made SR118 million ($31.5 million) in the three months to end-March compared to SR107 million a year earlier, Jarir said.
In February, Jarir said it expects new stores to boost its net profit by at least 15 per cent this year, which is higher than profit growth last year.
'These results bode well for the company's overall ... 2010 results,' said Laurent-Patrick Gally, of Dubai-based Shuaa Capital.
Jarir said first-quarter sales rose by 20 per cent to SR795 million led mainly by higher smart phone sales and a rise in the number of its stores to 28 from 24 a year earlier.
But analysts said increasing reliance on electronics sales was pressuring margins.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait