Bahrain opens 1st phase of revamped souq
Manama, August 11, 2010
The first phase of the renovated souq in Manama was opened yesterday (August 10) by Bahrain’s Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa.
He urged speedy completion of Manama's revamped souq project while calling on developers and planners to retain the souq's magical atmosphere.
This was the only way to attract more visitors, tourists and shoppers, the Premier said.
The second phase includes the remainder of the souq, to the end of Bab Al Bahrain.
The ancient shops must be preserved, the Premier said as he opened the new-look market from Bab Al Bahrain to Al Tijjar Avenue junction. He said the souq's traditional nature must be considered during the second phase it is a heritage market.
Developing the souq aims to elevate its urban standards, attract shoppers and visitors and encourage traders to expand their activities, he said.
The Premier also stressed that the souq is to maintain its commercial value to keep pace with commercial complexes and high demand by traders and visitors. It should remain a tourism and commercial landmark that distinguished Bahrain through the years, he said.
He toured the suq and met traders who briefed him on their activities. Municipalities and Agriculture Minister Dr Juma Al Ka'abi also briefed him on the second phase, costing BD2 million ($5.3 million).
The premier stressed the importance of preserving Bahrain's historical and heritage sites and paid tribute to all those who contributed to the project.
The first phase also included revamping of government premises, police station and post office, developing roads and lighting, establishing a seven-story parking for 400 cars spread on 1,900 sq m and shops on the ground floor. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait