Bahrain to speed up $13m souq revamp
Manama, August 22, 2010
Bahrain will expedite the second part of the BD5 million ($13.26 million) Manama souq renovation work, said a senior government official.
The move follows the successful completion of the first part of the revamp of the suq, said Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry retail sales and traditional markets committee head Jawad Al Hawaj.
HH Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa visited the area earlier this month following the completion of the first part of the first phase.
It covered a BD3.5 million shopping plaza and the revamping of outside areas.
Work on the BD5 million second part of the first phase is due to start soon, said Al Hawaj.
"We can now begin the face-lifting part, which will give a whole new look to the entire area up to Shaikh Abdulla Road," he added. "Al Mutanabi Road will have resting areas and cafes, while the old police station opposite Bab Al Bahrain will be turned into a suq museum for tourists."
He said 31 shops and eight stalls had started their businesses in the renovated area handed over to them.
"They are in the process of organising sales and promotions to attract more buyers during Ramadan."
Al Hawaj said a multi-storey 400-car parking lot in the suq was nearly ready.
"It is likely to be officially opened in the next few days and once that happens, there will be a lot less congestion," he said.
"We know we will never have enough parking spaces, but this will certainly help," he added.
Al Hawaj said work on the second phase would extend from Bab Al Bahrain to Bahrain Financial Harbour, with a planned linking of Government Avenue to the corniche.
Work on the revamp project began in December 2006, including demolishing and rebuilding a government-owned commercial complex housing some of the oldest shops in Bahrain and a face-lift for other buildings. – TradeArabia News Service