UAE retailer unveils big revamp plans
Dubai, May 16, 2011
BurJuman, a leading UAE retail destination, said it plans to undertake a major renovation work at its northern wing aimed at extending the retail area to over one million sq ft and add new anchor tenants.
A distinctive landmark, Burjuman comprises over 2.8 million sq ft of mixed-use space including the shopping mall, business tower, hotel suites and duplex residences.
The renovation phases are due to be rolled out over the coming 18-24 months, with initial MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing) work commencing immediately and structural work commencing in the last quarter of 2011, said a statement from Burjuman.
The renovation will be carried out in stages to ensure minimal disruption to the mall’s normal operational activities during the entire period, it stated.
The renovations aim at extending and architecturally unifying the mall’s physical space as well as enhancing the shopping and entertainment experience, with the addition of new anchor tenants, including a major grocery store and multiplex cinema, the statement said.
Several new luxury, high-street and high fashion brands are expected to join the mall’s prestigious retail portfolio, including brands exclusive to BurJuman in the UAE as well as a few exciting regional debuts.
BurJuman’s total retail area will be increased to over 1 million sq ft from the current 800,000 sq ft once the renovation phases have been finalised, said a top official.
"We have executed a series of extensions and renovations over the years, and each phase has helped enhance our offering and meet the changing needs of our customers and the desires of our tenants," said Majid Al-Ghurair, president of BurJuman.
"The addition of high-traffic tenants such as a major grocery store and cinema are expected to further drive footfall and round off our current retail portfolio," he noted.
Key elements include the addition of a fourth floor cinema complex and the extension of the third floor family entertainment area to include an extended food court.
Following the renovations, the food court will be doubled in size and link directly to the Pavillion Gardens in the mall’s South wing. Several new F&B brands are expected to join BurJuman’s current dining offering.
In addition, the mall’s north exterior entrance is set to be completely redesigned and an al fresco dining area added to the wing.
“Visitors not only look at malls as places to shop but as a complete entertainment destination. We have planned for some time now to add to our family entertainment offering and the extension of the play area and addition of a multiplex cinema will be a major step in this direction," said Al Ghurair.
"In addition, new fashion and F&B brands coming on board will offer visitors greater versatility and increased options each time they pay us a visit," he added.
The renovation plans build on BurJuman’s recent enhancements completed in early 2009, which included construction of 34,000 sq ft of retail and restaurant space on the ground floor, including a redesigned exterior facade, and a direct main entrance from Khalid Bin Al Walid Street and the adjoining Dubai Metro Station.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector