Nivea marks 100 years of beauty, skin care
Hamburg, September 27, 2011
Cosmetics giant Beiersdorf is gearing up to celebrate 100 years of its most famous brand Nivea which today boasts of around 500 skin and beauty care products being enjoyed by customers in over 200 countries.
Beiersdorf, based in Hamburg, Germany, has over 17,000 employees worldwide, and its sales in 2010 touched 4 billion euros ($5.4 billion).
'Nivea’s long and successful history is full of highlights that make it one of the most loved skin care brands in the world – from revolutionary ingredients like the anti-aging Q10 and moisturising Hydra IQ, to pioneering product ranges like Nivea For Men and quirky marketing successes like the Nivea blue beach ball and fun collector’s tins,' said a statement from Beiersdorf.
Nivea Crème – the first stable skin cream based on an oil-and-water emulsion – was born in 1911, thanks to the inventive genius of chemist Dr Isaac Lifschütz, who was responsible for developing the emulsifier Eucerit, and the foresight of pharmacist and entrepreneur Dr Oscar Troplowitz and dermatologist Professor Dr Paul Gerson Unna who saw the potential to use the product to create a revolutionary cosmetic skin cream, it stated.
By 1914, Nivea Crème was making its way aboard ocean steamers and flying boats to more than 34 countries worldwide.
By the early 1920s, the brand was already demonstrating its strength in responding to the changing needs of consumers.
For example, in 1922 men began sporting moustaches and Nivea responded by introducing its first product tailored specifically to the needs of men – the shaving soap, said Beiersdorf in its statement.
The 20s was also the decade that brought to light an iconic development in Nivea’s history – the creation of the blue & white logo that made its way onto the first crème tin in 1925.
Today, the Nivea logo is one of the most recognisable super brands in the world, in the same league as brands such as Coca Cola and Google, the German cosmetic giant said.
Nivea has over the past 100 years made its way into the hearts and homes of customers from across the world, the statement said.
The brand first entered the Middle East region in the 1950s with Jordan, Syria and Bahrain being the first countries to find the Nivea products on their shelves.
Today Nivea leads the regional skincare sector in body crèmes and body care categories which demonstrates our continuous success in doing what we do best, which is developing skin care products that are always in tune with the times, the company said in its statement.
In keeping with Nivea’s constant goal of developing products that reflect current trends in the skin care business, 2011 saw the development of Pure & Natural, the brand's first highly-effective product range containing natural, organic ingredients.
Today in 2011 – the brand’s centennial year – Nivea Crème remains the ‘mother’ of a big brand family that has continued to inspire the confidence and trust of millions of consumers since 1911, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector