DED to boost consumer rights awareness
Dubai, October 4, 2011
The Dubai Department of Economic Development (DED) has launched its mall-based Consumer Protection Centre aimed at reaching out to customers, strengthening awareness about their rights and responsibilities.
The Consumer Protection Centre will be set up across all major malls in Dubai, and the initiative flagged off at the Mirdif City Centre, where it will function until October 8.
The centres will subsequently be hosted at The Dubai Mall (October 10-15); Dubai Festival City (October 17-22); Arabian Centre (October 24-29); Ibn Battuta Mall (November 9-14); Mall of the Emirates (November 16-21) and Deira City Centre (November 23-28).
Omar Bushahab, CEO, Commercial Compliance and Consumer Protection Division, DED, inaugurated the Consumer Protection Centre in Mirdif City Centre.
Officials distributed brochures, leaflets and posters related to consumer rights as reserved and guaranteed by the law, in addition to copies of the Blue Book, which translates the provisions of the Federal Law No. (24) of 2006, regulating refunds, exchanges, warranties, invoices and other aspects of retail, into clear policies and guidelines that are easy to understand.
'This initiative is part of DED's efforts to open all channels of communications with consumers, and thus strengthen customer satisfaction and loyalty,” said Bushahab.
“The centre aims to provide consultative support and solutions for customers on the spot, as well as minimise disputes between consumers and traders, thus contributing to a more positive market environment. DED seeks to activate the role of the Consumer Protection Centres throughout the year in 2012,' he added.
He added: 'The setting up of the Consumer Protection Centre reaffirms DED's policy of transparency in dealing with consumers, and demonstrates our focus on upholding the highest quality standards in the retail sector – a backbone of Dubai’s economy. It will also strengthen consumer confidence which in turn will boost market competitiveness.'
DED’s officials from the Commercial Compliance and Consumer Protection Division will organize visits in co-ordination with officials in the shopping malls to interact with the retailers and to provide advice on their selling policies to strengthen the relations with consumers.
'This initiative underscores the commitment of Commercial Compliance & Consumer Protection Division to ensure that consumers and retailers comply with the Consumer Code of Rights, and understand their responsibilities,” said Mohammed Lootah, Deputy CEO of the Commercial Compliance and Consumer Protection Division.
“DED will uphold the rights of consumers by inspecting retail shops and resolving any disputes that may arise between consumers and traders. We also work with concerned government authorities to control any negative trade practices, and strengthen the relations between traders and consumers,' he added.
Peter Walichnowski, CEO, Majid Al Futtaim Properties said: 'We are delighted that the Department of Economic Development has chosen Mirdif City Centre, Mall of the Emirates and Deira City Centre as the main platforms to reach the largest number of consumers in Dubai.”
“Being an active partner in this initiative reflects Majid Al Futtaim Properties’ commitment towards preserving consumers’ rights and maintaining the highest standards of quality and service in all of its shopping centres,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Samsung launches Chromebook 2 Series
- Emaar to list shopping malls & retail subsidiary
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs