Kaleidoscope gives majlis a makeover
Dubai, October 25, 2011
The most traditional meeting place in Arab culture, the majlis, has been given an invigorating design twist through fusion by Mimi Shakhashir, a finalist in Index 2011’s annual majlis design competition.
Shakhashir’s new design movement, Kaleidoscope, has created a neon-lit space which fuses time-honored Arabic hospitality and patterns with contemporary colours and comforts.
Her shortlisted majlis design for the competition was selected from more than 60 regional and global entries.
“The theme of Kaleidoscope’s majlis for Index is ‘Global Instinct’, creating a space which has a traditional function and overtones but infusing it with a sense of playfulness, style and up-to-date cultural references. Incorporating suzani and ikat fabrics, Arabic calligraphy, striking black and white contrasts and icons from the Middle East, Kaleidoscope’s majlis invites INDEX visitors to see the most traditional of meeting spaces as a relaxing, inspirational haven,” said Shakhashir, founder of Kaleidoscope.
Building on the success of her role as a founder of Dubai retail sensation O de Rose, Shakhashir is currently involved with interior design initiatives from Oman to Amman, while also designing lines of jewellery and clothing based on her philosophy of reinventing traditional themes. - TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- DDF sets new anniversary sales record
- Al-Futtaim in deal to set up giant Morocco mall
- Wifi lighbulb launched in UAE
- Seiko unveils GPS watches
- Géant opens 2nd supermarket in Abu Dhabi
- MAF malls in Dubai unveil festive décor
- Global luxury brands for Riyadh expo
- Luxury brands step up battle for travelling shoppers
- Dutch food retailer SPAR announces Oman foray
- Panasonic unveils new range of kettles