Bahrain Duty Free ‘outlook positive’
Manama, March 15, 2012
Bahrain Duty Free had a good start to the year and things are looking more positive than a year ago, said its chairman, adding that it has proved itself as the premier travel retail operator at Bahrain International Airport.
In his annual review, Farouk Almoayyed said while 2011 had proved a challenging year.
"In view of our challenging environment, it is increasingly important to ensure that we have a strong organisational structure in place," he said.
"Accordingly, we are upgrading our IT systems, enhancing human resources, implementing best practice and reviewing all business processes and procedures throughout the company. These measures will ensure Bahrain Duty Free is in a stronger position to take up future growth opportunities," he added.
"Such an opportunity is the proposed extension of the terminal at the airport. The terminal capacity will increase from 8.5 million passengers to 13.5 million per annum.
"Bahrain Airport Company and Bahrain Duty Free are conducting detailed discussions concerning an enhanced duty free shopping experience that the extension will offer."
He said consolidated sales for 2011 amounted to BD26.78 million ($71 million), a fall of 14.5 per cent on the previous year, while operating profit at BD6.58 million was down 20 per cent. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices