Mall of Emirates ‘most productive shopping centre’
Dubai, October 23, 2012
Mall of the Emirates, Majid Al Futtaim Properties’ flagship mall in Dubai, has been ranked the 7th most productive shopping centre in the world, earning $1,423 per sq ft per annum, according to recent research.
The 2.5 million sq ft mall is nearly three times more profitable per square foot than the industry average, and its sales surpass those of some of the most internationally renowned shopping destinations in Los Angeles, Toronto and Orlando, the report by the International Council of Shopping Centres (ICSC), as published in Shopping Centre Today showed.
Since opening its doors in 2005, Mall of the Emirates has witnessed consistent footfall growth and impressive demand from retailers. In the past seven years, its annual footfall numbers have increased by an average 8 to 10 per cent annually.
In the first half of the year, the mall welcomed more than 20 million visitors, on track to surpass 2011’s total of 36 million visitors. Despite already housing 535 international retail brands, including over 80 luxury stores, there are currently over 160 international brands on the waiting list for space at the mall.
Peter Walichnowski, CEO of Majid Al Futtaim Properties, said: “We are very pleased to be recognised on an international level, which confirms our position as the retail leader in the Middle East region including Dubai, one of the world’s most iconic shopping destinations.”
“The key to our continued success is to provide the best access to the most sought-after brands and leisure concepts. We strive to not only remain relevant to consumers, but to exceed their expectation, which is what we call the art of proactive asset management.”
“We are constantly investing in renovating our offerings, refreshing our retail mix and developing new entertainment concepts. This has not only contributed to our leadership of the market, both in the region and worldwide, but has also played a fundamental role in positioning Dubai as the second top retail hub in the world after London.”
Mall of the Emirates, was ranked seventh in the ICSC rankings, behind shopping centres in Sydney, New York City, London, Las Vegas and Miami.
ICSC’s annual survey maps the global retail centres, classifies the world’s 15 most lucrative malls and analyses factors contributing to their success. Mall of the Emirates is the only mall in the Middle East to qualify among the world’s top 15 shopping malls.
Population density, mass affluence and strong brand identities were identified as key sales drivers. Data from Green Street Advisors, KPMG, Thomas Consulting, Shopping Centre News and other sources was used as a basis for this analysis. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain