Abu Dhabi charts plan to boost retail sector
Abu Dhabi, December 16, 2012
The Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA Abu Dhabi) has established a dedicated industry development committee (IDC) for the retail sector.
The committee, comprising representatives of 14 leading retail operations, met recently to begin talks on identifying issues impacting the industry in the UAE capital and plan strategies for meshing the sector more into Abu Dhabi’s overall tourism proposition, said a statement.
“Retail plays a key role in enhancing the visitor experience, particularly for some of our key emerging markets such as India, China and Russia,” explained Mohammed Al Dhaheri, quality and performance manager, TCA Abu Dhabi, who is chairing the authority’s retail IDC.
“We hope by working more closely with the sector we will ultimately deliver an enhanced year-round experience for visitors and a more co-ordinated approach to festival offerings.”
Abu Dhabi’s retail sector is maturing with the recent opening of The Avenue at Etihad Towers, the UAE capital’s first, stand-alone, high-end shopping destination and the planned opening of Yas Mall in 2014.
“Other major and niche projects are in the pipeline which the destination will be able to successfully leverage on,” added Al Dhaheri.
The new IDC’s membership includes representatives of: Marina Mall, Al Ain Mall, Bawadi Mall, Al Wahda Mall, Bawabat Al Sharq, Abu Dhabi Mall, Khalidiya Mall, Delma Mall, Mushrif Mall, Al Raha Mall, Paragon, Wahat Hili, Souk Garyat Al Bari and Aldar, the developers of Central Market and the upcoming Yas Mall.
Retail is the fifth IDC to be established by TCA Abu Dhabi under its expanding ‘Partners In Progress’ stakeholder programme. Other IDCs represent the hospitality, attractions, tour operator and aviation segments. - TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia