Géant opens UAE’s first online hypermarket
Dubai, June 11, 2013
French hypermarket chain Géant has launched the UAE’s first online hypermarket, offering customers the opportunity to purchase grocery items and consumer electronics from the comfort of their homes or mobile devices.
Géant Online at geantonline.ae becomes the latest addition to Géant’s portfolio of brands in the UAE, which includes Géant Hypermarkets and Géant Easy supermarkets and convenient stores.
This comes as part of an ambitious growth strategy by Fucom, the master franchisee for Géant in the region, to expand in the UAE and across the GCC region over the next five years.
Customers placing their order online can select from a wide variety of groceries as well as consumer electronics, health and beauty and household products, said Mohammad Ashfaq, group business head, Fucom.
“Géant Online has been designed to meet a growing need by online shoppers and also to tap into the huge market for online shopping in the UAE, which boasts of the highest Internet penetration rates in the region,” Ashfaq added.
“Our move towards creating a virtual hypermarket was largely influenced by the fact there’s a young, tech savvy base of customers spending a significant amount of time online and that the e-commerce landscape is relatively new in this region. The new tech-savvy generation of youth prefers modern methods and access to different services, and online shopping is fast becoming their favourite way to buy goods.”
Yvan Baba, country head UAE, said: “The simplicity of online shopping is attracting more people to shop online. Having said that, we are well aware that this channel is new and we want to tap into the same to provide complementary service to our existing customers in addition to our established brick and mortal retail. It provides a very viable alternative for people with hectic schedules and those seeking convenience.”
The Mena region is one of the fastest growing markets in the world for e-commerce with sales in 2012 totaling $15 billion, which represents a whopping increase of 45 per cent. It is estimated there are more than 72 million Internet users in the region while the UAE accounts for the highest number of internet users who shop online in this region. Internet retail sales are expected to grow by 95 per cent in the UAE over the next five years.
Sajid Azmi, head of Ecommerce and Digital Marketing, Géant and Géant Online, said: “Online grocery shopping is a sector that is growing rapidly in many countries. Given Dubai’s position as a leading technology and shopping hub, and due to the increase in the internet and credit card usage in the UAE, we believe Dubai offers the ideal platform to start our online grocery business in this region. The website has also been designed taking into account the mobile nature of today’s generation. Hence the website is completely usable from all iOS and Android devices.”
“Online shopping has opened up huge new choices for consumers, not just in terms of what they buy, but how they buy it. Géant Online aims to provide another value added complementary service to our loyal customers, as well as reaching out to those who haven’t yet had the chance to shop with us yet,” he added.
Géant Online also has a great customer support team to assist customers right from the website with online chat support, answering every service and product-related questions. Additionally, customers can access hotline and email support 7 days a week. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet