Dr Amina Al Rustamani, Group CEO of Tecom Investments
and representative for the Dubai Design District
Dubai sets up design and fashion council
Dubai, August 5, 2013
Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE, has issued a decree to establish the Dubai Design and Fashion Council, which aims to diversify the sector and enhance the talent pool.
The announcement is in line with the joint efforts of the Dubai Executive Council and the Dubai Technology and Media Free Zone Authority (DTMFZA) to develop a roadmap for the design and fashion industry.
The council will be established under the Dubai Technology and Media Free Zone Authority. It will develop existing design events that attract design professionals locally as well as at international levels.
The council will include members from the Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce (DTCM) Marketing, Emaar and Dubai Design District and a variety of associated sectors.
Dr Amina Al Rustamani, Group CEO of Tecom Investments and representative for the Dubai Design District, who will take up a seat on the Council, said: “Dubai’s design and fashion industry has a great opportunity to put itself on an equal footing with the likes of London, Paris and New York.”
“However, to unlock the industry’s full potential it will need to be carefully and strategically developed by the people and organisations that know the industry best. That is why the Decree to create a Dubai Design and Fashion Council, which will guide and nurture the growth of the industry, is so important,” she added.
Ahmad Bin Byat, director general of the Dubai Technology and Media Free Zone Authority, said: “Dubai already has a growing creative community and we want to harness its full potential. By carving a detailed roadmap, we would be able to maximise the contribution of this community towards achieving Dubai’s strategic ambitions of diversifying the economy, encouraging enterprise and growing the talent pool.”
“Bringing together both the public and private sectors will allow the Dubai Design and Fashion Council to provide focused and dedicated support to the industry. It will guide its future growth, as well as fostering a spirit of creativity, entrepreneurship and innovation. The Council will also help in attracting and developing the local talent needed for the industry’s enduring success, while at the same time ensuring it adheres to global standards of best practice.
“The design and fashion industry has a significant role to play in helping Dubai achieve the ambitious objectives set out in Tourism Vision 2020,” Bin Byat added.
Helal Saeed Almarri, director-general, DTCM said: "As we look towards 2020, furthering the development of the creative industries is an important element of the broadening of Dubai's offer. Retail has always been one of Dubai's main attractions for tourists and with fashion a critical component of this, the establishment of the Dubai Design and Fashion Council is an important step in the expansion of this sector.”
Abdullah Al Shaibani, secretary-general of Dubai Executive Council said: "The Dubai Design and Fashion Council will have an important role in promoting Dubai on a global scale. The Council will help create a leading industry position for the Emirate, which in time will enable it to compete with the four fashion capitals of New York, Paris, London and Milan.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait