Apple sells 9m new iPhones in 3 days
New York, September 23, 2013
Apple said it sold 9 million iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C models in their first three days on the market, the most successful iPhone launch ever.
Apple shares rose more than 5 percent to $493.47 in early trading on Monday following the news.
Demand for the iPhone 5S has exceeded initial supplies, and many online orders are scheduled to be shipped in the coming weeks, the company said in a statement.
"It's a great number," said Colin Gillis, an analyst with BGC Partners. "We have been saying they will be selling every 5S they can make and it looks like that is the case."
When Apple unveiled the iPhone 5 a year ago, it sold more than 5 million in the first three days after its launch.
On Friday, long lines formed outside stores in Tokyo, New York, San Francisco and other cities for Apple's new top-of-the-line 5S and the less-expensive 5C. It was the first time Apple launched two iPhone models simultaneously.
Apple did not break out separate sales figures for the 5S and 5C. The 5S model, whose price starts at $199, offers a touch ID that scans a user's fingerprint to unlock the phone. The less expensive 5C, which starts at $99, comes in an array of colors.
Apple also said in a regulatory filing it expects total revenue for the fourth fiscal quarter to be near the high end of the previously estimated range of $34 billion to $37 billion. Analysts' average forecast is $36.10 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. - Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices