Turkey jewellery exports to hit $2.5bn
Istanbul, October 5, 2013
Turkey's 2013 jewellery exports are expected to increase by 20 per cent this year to $2.5 billion, due to strong demand from markets including the Middle East, said the head of the Jewellery Exporters' Association.
"Jewellery exports in the first nine months have reached $1.7 billion ... we expect another $800 million until the year-end and to finish the year with $2.5 billion," Ayhan Guner told Reuters in an interview.
Gold jewellery exports make up about 90 per cent of Turkey's total jewellery exports.
Guner said he expected jewellery exports to rise a further 10 to 12 per cent next year to hit $2.9 billion, as rising demand from the Middle East makes up for slack markets in Europe.
The share of the European Union in Turkey's jewellery exports has fallen to around 10 per cent from 25 per cent over the past three years, Guner said.
"Right now our biggest export markets are Iraq and Dubai, through where the gold is distributed across the Middle East. I'd say around 60 to 70 per cent of the gold sold in Dubai is produced in Turkey," he said.
The gold price has fallen by nearly a quarter this year as investors fretted the US Federal Reserve would roll back its $85 billion bond-buying programme. High liquidity and low interest rates encourage investors to put money into non-interest-bearing assets such as gold.-Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait