New shopping mall opens in Bahrain
Manama, December 10, 2013
A new BD630,000 ($1.7 million) shopping mall will open in Demistan today (December 10).
It will be officially launched by Municipalities and Urban Planning Affairs Minister Dr Juma Al Ka'abi, said a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.
The Western Area Mall, which is built on 6,475 sq m, has been fully leased and will include various shopping outlets, family and entertainment attractions and government services.
"The previous Demistan Marketplace was abandoned for five years as shops had closed after low business due to the location then not being attractive," said Northern Municipality director-general Yousif Al Ghatam.
"We immediately decided to turn it into a mall, which just took us two years to construct.
"As we worked on the mall, we saw huge response from businessmen, who have so far leased 90 per cent of 28 available shops as we kept the remaining 10 per cent for government services.
"We are expecting more than BD60,000 annually from leasing shops in the mall, which is huge compared to us getting nothing from the previous marketplace."
Al Ghatam said the mall will include a hypermarket, women and children garments and accessories outlets, phone selling and repair stalls, perfumes and cosmetics booths, and stationery and gift shops.
"The mall will also have a mini-theme park and an office for the municipality, where services will be provided," he said. - TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector