Debenhams warns of profit setback
London, January 1, 2014
Debenhams has warned of a sharp fall in profit after big discounts failed to spur a surge in last-minute Christmas shopping, sending a shiver through weaker British retailers.
In an ominous sign for rival Marks & Spencer (M&S), Britain's second-largest department store group said it would now miss analysts' first-half profit forecasts and would have to cut prices even further to clear stock.
A sea of red sale signs across the country's high streets in December illustrated retailers' battle for cost-conscious customers in a tentative economic recovery and as more people shop online.
Their efforts were hampered by storms which battered Britain and kept many shoppers at home on some of the biggest trading days of the year.
M&S made the rare move of slashing 30 per cent off all clothing in the run up to Christmas prompting fears it too had suffered in the critical trading period.
Debenhams has long used promotions to drive sales, offering 50pc reductions in the run up to Christmas on some items. But the company said it had to offer particularly deep discounts this year to keep up with competitors.-Reuters
Tags: Debenhams |
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector