Mandarina Duck opens store in UAE
Dubai, August 9, 2007
Avant-garde Italian hand baggage designer Mandarina Duck has opened the first of its mono brand stores in the UAE at Wafi City.
The store has brought a full range of functional yet original luggage, handbags and accessories to the Middle East.
Mandarina Duck, which had previously only limited presence in the region through mixed-use retailers, has entered into an exclusive franchisee and distribution agreement with Middle East and Indian Subcontinent luxury goods agent Euroluxe.
Already a success across Europe and Asia, Mandarina Duck has a distribution network of 110 mono brand shops and over 1,000 multi-brand stores, directly employing 600 people with a further 1,100 staff through allied industries.
This figure is set to rise due to the company’s continual franchising projects, of which the UAE forms the foundation for expansion throughout the Middle East.
“This the perfect time to launch Mandarina Duck in the region. The Middle East retail sector is witnessing rapid growth, and in particular in the luggage and luxury sectors. The UAE is ideally positioned as one of the world’s leisure and business hubs, which means travel is now a necessity rather than a luxury and the need for hand baggage accessories even greater,” said Euroluxe managing director Xavier Bouin.
The UAE retail sector continues to grow, with annual sales in the industry estimated to reach $3.5 billion. This growth is supported by the upgrading of existing retail stores and the addition of state of the art new mega retail stores making space for new brands to move in.
Retail growth in the Gulf is reportedly increasing at an average of 7.6 per cent per year (2001-2005) with a growth of well over 400 international retail brands from less than 20 in 1985. Helping to drive this sector’s growth are the 300,000 millionaires in the Middle East that help contribute to the massive estimated $2 trillion luxury market worldwide.
The UAE’s 471 sq ft store will showcase the brands brightly coloured luggage, beautiful handbags, essential hold-alls, backpacks, laptop carry cases and accessories all made of deliberately artificial materials that are soft and light weight, yet tough and enduring. Mandarina Duck stands out for its individualistic materials and exuberant polychromy. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard