MGM Studios to set up projects in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, March 27, 2008
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and Jordan-based Rubicon agreed to develop entertainment facilities with Abu Dhabi-based Sorouh Real Estate in the United Arab Emirates, the companies said on Thursday.
The first project will mix Western and Middle East cultures and traditions, they said in a joint statement, without giving details.
"It is our hope this partnership will enhance Sorouh's position to further cement Abu Dhabi's reputation as a leading tourism and lifestyle destination," Sorouh vice chairman Mohammed Khalaf al-Mazrouei said in the statement.
Emirates Business newspaper, citing Daily Variety magazine, said the projects will cost as much as $1 billion to develop.
Sorouh is developing 45 billion dirhams ($12.25 billion) of real estate projects in Abu Dhabi as the emirate seeks to use its record oil wealth to diversify its economy into tourism and business.
Last year, Sorouh's biggest Abu Dhabi rival, Aldar Properties, agreed with Warner Bros Entertainment to set up a film and video-game production company that includes development of a theme park, hotels and cinemas. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China