MGM Grand to be located at Mina Zayed
Abu Dhabi, May 13, 2008
The MGM Grand Abu Dhabi, developed by MGM Mirage Hospitality, will be located at Mina Zayed, Abu Dhabi.
The project will comprise leisure and entertainment facilities and forms part of a 150-acre urban waterfront redevelopment that is a major element in Abu Dhabi’s plans to become a world-class tourism destination, said Mubadala Development Company.
The design and planning stages of the project are already underway, construction will commence in 2009, with phase one of the master plan opening in 2012, it said.
Gensler, the leading global design and planning firm, is master planning the project in line with the Abu Dhabi Urban Framework Plan. Designs and architecture are based on sustainable building design principles reflecting Abu Dhabi’s commitment to protect and conserve the environment. The existing dhows and fish market will be retained in the master plan and accommodated on adjacent land, with enhanced facilities, restaurants and cultural attractions.
Waleed Al Mokarrab Al Muhairi, chief operating officer of Mubadala, said: “Abu Dhabi’s economic diversification journey includes a vibrant hospitality sector, one that caters to a flourishing society and supports the overall Abu Dhabi plan. Mubadala is investing and building new businesses by partnering with experts in a variety of sectors including real estate and hospitality.
“We are working with MGM Mirage to develop the MGM Grand Abu Dhabi, the centerpiece of the Mina Zayed development and a key part of Abu Dhabi’s tourism strategy. On completion, this development will rival the waterfronts of Barcelona, Cape Town and Singapore building upon Abu Dhabi’s position as a business and leisure destination,” he said.
Gamal Aziz, president and chief executive officer of MGM Mirage Hospitality, and president and chief operating officer of MGM Grand, commented: “We are delighted to introduce our luxury hotel brands to Abu Dhabi. Our development at Mina Zayed will be anchored by the 600-room MGM Grand Abu Dhabi, as well as our Skylofts and Signature hotels. The development will include fine-dining restaurants based on our Michelin-starred brands and concepts. We will use our entertainment resources for the arena design and development, harnessing our long-standing industry relationships to bring world-class performers and acts to the region.”
• MGM Grand Abu Dhabi will be a non-gaming hotel, restaurant and entertainment destination bringing MGM Mirage’s brand of hospitality to the Middle East
• The master plan for the development extends the Corniche promenade creating over 3 km of boardwalks around the entire waterfront, including luxury hotels, shops, restaurants, entertainment venues, leisure attractions, residential apartments and townhouses
• The first phase of the waterfront master plan will comprise the entertainment and convention districts, including the MGM Grand Abu Dhabi hotel, convention centre and arena on a 40-acre plot at Mina Zayed.
• The entertainment and convention districts include approximately 1,000 hotel rooms and suites offered at the MGM Grand Abu Dhabi, Skylofts and Signature hotel brands, plus a new lifestyle hotel brand under development by MGM Mirage.
• There will be approximately 400 hotel residences and 500 waterfront apartments which shall be made available to investors, with exclusive access to hotel services, facilities and private yacht berths.
• The master plan includes 25,000 sq m of high-end retail, dining and entertainment venues, and a 10,000-seat indoor arena with a 3,000-seat outdoor amphitheatre to host year-round performances and events. – TradeArabia News Service