Etihad to codeshare with Malaysia Airlines
Abu Dhabi, September 15, 2008
Etihad Airways has signed a new codeshare agreement with Malaysia Airlines.
Under the deal, the Abu Dhabi-based airline will place its two-letter ‘EY’ code on Malaysia Airlines’ flights between the country’s capital city, Kuala Lumpur, and the popular islands of Kota Kinabalu, Penang, Kuching and Langkawi.
In turn, Malaysia Airlines will place its ‘MH’ code on services operated by Etihad between its home base of Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, Doha and Muscat in the Gulf region.
The announcement follows the signing in May of a memorandum of understanding between Etihad Airways and Malaysia Airlines. It brings to ten the number of codeshare agreements now operated by Etihad Airways.
The agreement paves the way for closer co-operation between the two airlines on a range of other joint initiatives, including collaboration on frequent flyer programmes, ground handling, customer support, cargo and airport lounge access.
“Asia is an important market for Etihad and there is huge demand amongst our customers to travel beyond the Malaysian capital, which this new codeshare agreement now allows,' said James Hogan, Etihad Airways’ chief executive.
“With a steady increase in tourist arrivals over the years from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, we hope to tap into this partnership to further increase the passenger numbers from that region, not only to Malaysia but to our destinations beyond,” said Idris Jala, Malaysia Airlines’ managing director and chief executive.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Renaissance to host 'day of discovery'
- Boeing clinches $30bn Dreamliner-10 orders
- Accor overhauls Pullman, targets 150 hotels
- Gulf Air official reappointed to key post
- Loss-making Abu Dhabi TDIC sells key project
- Crowne Plaza Jordan gets food safety certification
- Oman Air, Travelport in seat assignment deal
- Kuwait Marriott unveils summer deals
- Tilal Liwa offers ‘traditional Ramadan experience’
- Etihad mulls equity stake in Serbian airline