Abu Dhabi Yacht Show opens
Abu Dhabi, March 12, 2009
The first Abu Dhabi Yacht Show (ADYS) was inaugurated today by Sheikh Sultan Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan, chairman of the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA).
Sheikh Sultan spent two and a half hours touring the show at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, which featured an indoor exhibition and a fleet of over 20 SuperYachts – some ranking among the biggest in the world – berthed at Adnec’s new Marina Zone.
The architecturally-advanced, Wally Power, star of the James Bond movie 'Tomorrow Never Comes', and Platinum Yacht 90m- Dubawi, the largest yacht at the show, and one of the 100 biggest yachts in the world were the highlights of the show’s opening day.
'Abu Dhabi is advancing on the world tourism and major events stage and we believe we have a compelling proposition for the owners of SuperYachts as a berthing destination of choice.'
'The marina developments now underway in Abu Dhabi will demonstrate our ability to deliver superb infrastructure and facilities, best-in-class services and the management expertise needed to satisfy a demanding clientele.'
'These facets, complemented by our premier geographic location, natural assets of stunning coastline and islands and luxurious onshore support facilities combine to produce a marine destination like no other in the region,' he added.
The opening day also saw major regional premiers from Abu Dhabi Mar, 6Yacht Arabia, Al Masaood Marine, Al Seer Marine, Arabian Yachts, ART Marine among others.
As part of the elaborate evening entertainments, a water-borne ‘ballet’ was performed by super yachts on the outdoor terrace of the Emirates Palace Hotel.
Opening with a laser show, the super yacht ballet saw vessels including Azimut 116, WallyPower 118, Benetti, Ambrosia III, and the Aviva.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Hilton opens first Makkah hotel tower
- Movenpick offers limousines with wifi