Diverted flight reaches destination safely
Muscat, May 27, 2009
A Chennai-bound Oman Air flight that was diverted to Mumbai following a security threat has landed safely in Chennai.
Oman Air flight WY857 bound for Chennai in south India was diverted to Mumbai on May 25, landed safely in Chennai at 1800 UTC. The flight from Muscat to Chennai was diverted following a security alert.
The flight that had 135 passengers onboard and 7 crew members was put on alert after a crew member informed the captain concerning a threatening note being found in the aircraft.
To ensure the safety of the passengers and the crew, the captain decided to land the flight in Mumbai after obtaining necessary permission.
The aircraft has undergone a security scan by the Indian authorities at Mumbai airport, after the passengers were safely de-planed. The threat proved to be false as the authorities did not find any threatening device on board, hence cleared WY857 for take off from Mumbai at 1625 UTC after passengers and baggage screening.
Oman Air staff at Mumbai airport ensured that the stranded passengers were well attended to. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria
- Gulf Air launches loyalty promotion
- Hala Abu Dhabi launches tours, safaris
- Kenya starts work on $654m airport project
- Gulf Air wins top eContent award
- Dubai fund ICD buys landmark Atlantis hotel
- Qatar Airways to launch Dallas/Fort Worth route
- Ritz-Carlton Bahrain appoints new sales chief