American Airlines adds bag check fee on some flights
Chicago, August 22, 2009
AMR Corp's American Airlines has said it would charge a $50 fee to check a second bag on flights between some cities in Europe, India and the US.
Starting September14, passengers on those flights will pay the few fee to check a second piece of luggage. The first bag is still free.
The airline industry, battered this year by sagging travel demand, has begun generating new revenue by charging fees for items and services that once were included in the price of a ticket. Most major US airlines now charge bag-check fees.
AMR said the fees would apply on routes to, from, or through India, as well as the Belgium, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain and Switzerland.
AMR shares were up 12 cents to $5.18 on the New York Stock Exchange. – Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- UAE ties up with Burkina Faso aviation sector
- BA relaxes rules on electronic device use
- Flight options to boost Mideast-Asia travel
- Air Arabia eyes more Bahrain flights
- Double delivery takes Emirates A380 fleet to 44
- Boeing wins $7bn Cathay Pacific order
- Qatar Airways launches online visa system
- Etihad in talks on $413m Alitalia investment
- W Doha Hotel wins top award
- Boom time for UAE hospitality sector