American Airlines adds bag check fee on some flights
Chicago, August 22, 2009
AMR Corp's American Airlines has said it would charge a $50 fee to check a second bag on flights between some cities in Europe, India and the US.
Starting September14, passengers on those flights will pay the few fee to check a second piece of luggage. The first bag is still free.
The airline industry, battered this year by sagging travel demand, has begun generating new revenue by charging fees for items and services that once were included in the price of a ticket. Most major US airlines now charge bag-check fees.
AMR said the fees would apply on routes to, from, or through India, as well as the Belgium, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain and Switzerland.
AMR shares were up 12 cents to $5.18 on the New York Stock Exchange. – Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Turkish Airlines adds 4 new destinations
- Moroccan tourism revenue up 6pc in Jan
- City Seasons backs European MICE event
- Dubai T2 expansion boosts flydubai growth
- Etihad to acquire Abu Dhabi airport services firms
- Jordan airport sees record passenger traffic
- Boeing delivers 777-300 jetliner to Saudia
- Kuwait Airways signs Airbus deal
- Atlantis, The Palm, seeks $850m loan
- Emirates, TUI India ink agent agreement