Air Arabia to start Egypt hub in Q1, 2010
Al Ain, October 12, 2009
United Arab Emirates-based budget carrier Air Arabia plans to start a hub in Alexandria, Egypt in the first quarter of 2010, its CEO said on Monday.
"We are hoping to start operations in the first quarter of 2010," Adel Ali told reporters at a conference in the UAE city of Al-Ain.
Air Arabia has formed a joint venture with Egyptian Travco Group to launch a budget ariline in Egypt. The airline, Air Arabia Egypt, plans to fly to European, Middle Eastern and north African destinations.
The new airline will enable Air Arabia, the Arab world's largest listed airline by market value, to open its third hub and diversify away from increased pressure in its home market.
Air Arabia currently operates a hub from its base at Sharjah and another from Casablanca in Morocco that opened this year.
Formed in 2003, it has a fleet of 20 Airbus A320 aircraft and has placed an order for 44 more A320s. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall