Abu Dhabi Q1 duty free sales up 26pc
Abu Dhabi, April 25, 2010
The Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC) said the Duty Free spend had far outpaced passenger growth at emiraate's airport with an increase of over 26.1 per cent in the first quarter of 2010.
Based on a parallel, the over 13.8 per cent increase in passengers, over the same period, the results clearly demonstrate a returning consumer confidence in the Abu Dhabi travel retail sector, after the recent effects of the economic downturn in 2008 and 2009, said a top official.
ADAC chief commercial officer Huraiz Almur bin Huraiz, said: "We are encouraged by the first quarter results and to be 12.3 per cent ahead of passenger growth in turnover reinforces our strategy to continue to drive penetration, conversion and spend with our retail partners."
"Double-digit growth has been witnessed across all categories with luxury, perfume and cosmetics, liquor, gold and electronics being the star performers," he pointed out.
The exclusive launches and promotional campaigns have also contributed significantly to sales and similar activities are planned throughout 2010 to continue enhancing the retail experience and value offer for our customers, Bin Huraiz said.
According to him, ADAC expects 2010 also to be another record year in terms of travel retail sales with the year-end forecast of over $160 million by the airports operator.
The international airport had recently witnessed an increase in passenger traffic by 13.8 per cent during the first quarter of 2010.
Abu Dhabi Airports Company is showcasing its assets of airports and subsidiaries at the ongoing Airport Show in Dubai along with outstanding services that Abu Dhabi International Airport offers for travelers.
The latest expansion developments, specifically of the new Midfield Terminal Complex (MTC), which is expected to be completed in 2015, will be in spotlight, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad appoints senior VP sales
- Air Arabia to distribute 7.25pc cash dividends
- Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan opens
- Top firms plan Dubai World Central move
- Ferrari Land theme park to open in Spain
- Hilton to open 125-room hotel in Saudi
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued