SITA to equip new Amman airport terminal
Amman, July 13, 2010
SITA, the global leader in air transport communications, has been chosen to provide its complete suite of airport IT solutions to the new $750 million terminal at Queen Alia International Airport (QAIA) in Amman.
Joannou & Paraskevaides Group (J&P), the major engineering group that chose SITA, said: “This is a very strategic project for our company and we chose SITA as our partner because of its long history supporting air transport in Jordan and the depth and sophistication of its portfolio of IT solutions. We aim to deliver a world-class airport.”
QAIA joins the growing list of international airports that are equipped with the entire SITA portfolio, a statement said.
SITA’s systems integration will provide a total airport IT solution operating 70 check-in counters, 18 departure gates, 16 transfer desks, 10 check-in kiosks and 133 flight display screens across its 90,000 sq m.
A further expansion phase is planned which will bring total capacity to 12 million passengers.
Key SITA IT solutions which will be implemented in time for testing in October 2011 include the AirportConnect open check-in platform and common-use self service kiosks; airport operational database; resource management systems; flight information display system; baggage reconciliation system; billing system and passenger handler.
“SITA is very pleased to be involved from the outset in this showcase project,” said Hani El Assaad, SITA regional vice president Mena.
“When the new airport opens in two years it will be a major hub for the region. Our solutions will span all terminal-side operations. Passengers and airlines can look forward to the introduction of the very best of check-in technology that will enhance their experience at Queen Alia International Airport,” he added.
QAIA’s new terminal will open in early 2012 and increase annual passenger flow from 3.2 million to 9 million, the statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa
- Hilton opens first Makkah hotel tower
- Movenpick offers limousines with wifi