Mauritius named world's top island destination
Dubai, November 10, 2010
Mauritius has been recognised as the “World’s Best Island Destination” at the 2010 World Travel Awards grand final ceremony held in London.
“This is a testament to the hard work and investment made in our flourishing tourism market that attracts nearly 1 million visitors a year. We take pride in receiving the Award on behalf of more than the 30,000 people that work directly in our tourism industry,” said Dr Karl Mootoosamy, director general of the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority.
With nine direct flights a week from Dubai, Mauritius is fast becoming a popular favourite amongst residents from the Gulf region too.
Mauritius prides itself on a wide variety of activities, from golf to eco-tourism and from scuba diving to fishing. It also boasts newly opened shopping malls. This is especially popular amongst Arab families who also appreciate that halal cuisine is readily available too.
Hailed as “The Oscars of the Travel Industry”, the World Travel Awards is recognised worldwide as the ultimate travel accolade.
Mauritius beat off Langkawi (Malaysia), Bali (Indonesia), Barbados, Cook Islands, Jamaica, Maldives and Seychelles to win “World's Leading Island Destination”.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Boeing wins $7bn Cathay Pacific order
- Qatar Airways launches online visa system
- Etihad in talks on $413m Alitalia investment
- W Doha Hotel wins top award
- Boom time for UAE hospitality sector
- Sanad, airberlin ink financing deal
- Major cruise liner docks at Abu Dhabi port
- Etihad, Greek airline sign codeshare
- Flynas scores 91pc in customer satisfaction
- Flora plans $204m property expansion in Dubai