Salalah 'Khareef Festival' from July 1
Muscat, June 23, 2011
Oman’s Ministry of Tourism will host the Khareef Festival, one of the top touristic events of Salalah, from July 1.
The festival, which will run for 30 days, draws visitors from neighboring Arab countries and around the world to the Dhofar governorate’s cool ‘khareef’ or monsoon months which last from June to September.
The ministry expects a 5 per cent increase in tourist arrivals to Oman during this year’s Khareef Festival, said a statement.
Salalah is often referred to as the ‘Perfume Capital of Arabia’ due to the abundance of frankincense trees in the area. During the ‘khareef’ season the accompanying rain and fog transform the city into a fragrant green paradise.
The festival will feature a mix of games, rides, concerts and food displays. The festival normally starts in June but has been moved to July in 2011 to accommodate the Holy month of Ramadan, said Salem Al Mamari, director general of tourism promotions, Ministry of Tourism. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers