Salalah 'Khareef Festival' from July 1
Muscat, June 23, 2011
Oman’s Ministry of Tourism will host the Khareef Festival, one of the top touristic events of Salalah, from July 1.
The festival, which will run for 30 days, draws visitors from neighboring Arab countries and around the world to the Dhofar governorate’s cool ‘khareef’ or monsoon months which last from June to September.
The ministry expects a 5 per cent increase in tourist arrivals to Oman during this year’s Khareef Festival, said a statement.
Salalah is often referred to as the ‘Perfume Capital of Arabia’ due to the abundance of frankincense trees in the area. During the ‘khareef’ season the accompanying rain and fog transform the city into a fragrant green paradise.
The festival will feature a mix of games, rides, concerts and food displays. The festival normally starts in June but has been moved to July in 2011 to accommodate the Holy month of Ramadan, said Salem Al Mamari, director general of tourism promotions, Ministry of Tourism. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Pacific World announces UAE, Oman launch
- Mubadala unit developing new cabin concept
- Emirates to increase flights to Colombo
- Etihad Airways appoints new GM
- Oman Air to buy three A330 planes
- Enrolment for tourism youth summer camp opens
- British Airways celebrates Jordan return
- Egypt tourist arrivals jump 11.8pc
- Kuwaiti touristic website introduced
- Abu Dhabi plans 'bigger, louder' Summer fest