Go-ahead for Star Trek theme park in Jordan
Amman, August 9, 2011
The planned Star Trek-themed $1.5-billion entertainment park in Jordan has come one step closer to realisation, reports said.
Funding for the "Red Sea Astrarium" has been secured, according to reports.
The 184-acre project, which has the backing of King Abdullah of Jordan, will be located in the coastal town of Aqaba and is intended to be a family destination, mixing cultural discovery areas with high-profile attractions themed around the popular Star Trek franchise.
King Abdullah is known to be a fan of Star Trek, having once featured in an episode of the television show 'Star Trek: Voyager'.
Construction is expected to begin next year with the opening scheduled for 2014. The project is being developed by Jordan's Rubicon Group Holding (RGH).
RGH said in a statement the park will include technologically advanced
attractions, five-star accommodation, captivating theatrical productions and
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Summit explores future of regional travel industry
- AirAsiaX to buy 25 new Airbus jets
- Dusit launches premium hotel brand
- Etihad names new Kenya GM
- Emirates expands European Tour portfolio
- Gulf Air executive names AACO unit chief
- Air France celebrates 30 years of flying to Saudi
- Turkish Airlines to install 80 Sita kiosks
- BA launches Europe travel sale in UAE
- Etihad signs $3.3m deal with VisitBritain