Qatar Airways launches debut Bulgaria flight
Sofia, September 15, 2011
Qatar Airways has launched its maiden service to Bulgaria with a Doha-Sofia flight, raising the airline’s European network to 26 cities.
Flight QR943 arrived at Sofia International Airport to a water salute and welcome ceremony yesterday (September 14). The Prime Minister of Bulgaria, Boyko Borissov greeted the first flight at a reception.
Qatar Airways chief executive officer Akbar Al Baker led a delegation on the inaugural service.
“We are delighted to add Sofia to our international route network, further strengthening the traditionally excellent relations between our two countries,” said Al baker.
“Four flights a week will give Bulgarians the opportunity to explore a whole new world, in the most convenient way with Qatar Airways via our Doha hub. Be it Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Tokyo, Hanoi, Phuket, Dubai, Muscat, Johannesburg or Melbourne, our network of diverse cities offers a seamless travel experience for our customers from Bulgaria, as well as for our passengers flying to Sofia from abroad.”
“Furthermore, as the only Gulf carrier offering services to and from Sofia, we are providing an exciting new travel option for passengers flying long-haul to and from Bulgaria’s capital city,” he added.
Sofia International Airport chief executive officer Veselin Peykov said: “We are proud to welcome Qatar Airways to Bulgaria and to be able to offer our passengers a new gateway to over 100 destinations worldwide. Sofia Airport is growing at a sustainable pace, gradually turning into a regional hub and I am happy to welcome Qatar Airways on Bulgarian ground.”
Qatar Airways’ flights to and from Sofia operate with a brief stop in the Romanian capital, Bucharest.
The Sofia – Doha route is served with an Airbus A320 aircraft featuring up to 12 seats in Business Class and up to 132 seats in Economy. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan opens
- Top firms plan Dubai World Central move
- Ferrari Land theme park to open in Spain
- Hilton to open 125-room hotel in Saudi
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely