Etihad celebrates 8 years of flying
Abu Dhabi, November 5, 2011
The UAE national airline Etihad Airways on Saturday celebrated its eighth anniversary marking a significant growth in it global operations.
The Abu Dhabi-based airline operated its inaugural, ceremonial flight to Al Ain on November 5, 2003. A week later, it operated its first commercial passenger flight to Beirut.
Etihad Airways now operates directly to 86 destinations across the Middle East, Africa, Australia, Europe, North America and Asia, and flies to more than 220 destinations with its network of codeshare partners.
James Hogan, Etihad Airways’ chief executive officer, said: “Etihad Airways has achieved significant growth since it took to the skies eight years ago."
“Since our inaugural flight, we have built a global network of 86 passenger and cargo destinations, supported by one of the youngest and most environmentally efficient aircraft fleets in the world," he remarked.
“We have grown to become a family of almost 9,000 people, drawn from more than 120 nationalities across the world, whose hard work and commitment have earned for us an enviable reputation for excellence and innovation which we will continue to build on,” he added.
Etihad has a fleet of 63 aircraft, with over a hundred more on order. It has won numerous awards for the services it provides and is ranked sixth best airline in the world by industry watchdog Skytrax.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall