Etihad celebrates 8 years of flying
Abu Dhabi, November 5, 2011
The UAE national airline Etihad Airways on Saturday celebrated its eighth anniversary marking a significant growth in it global operations.
The Abu Dhabi-based airline operated its inaugural, ceremonial flight to Al Ain on November 5, 2003. A week later, it operated its first commercial passenger flight to Beirut.
Etihad Airways now operates directly to 86 destinations across the Middle East, Africa, Australia, Europe, North America and Asia, and flies to more than 220 destinations with its network of codeshare partners.
James Hogan, Etihad Airways’ chief executive officer, said: “Etihad Airways has achieved significant growth since it took to the skies eight years ago."
“Since our inaugural flight, we have built a global network of 86 passenger and cargo destinations, supported by one of the youngest and most environmentally efficient aircraft fleets in the world," he remarked.
“We have grown to become a family of almost 9,000 people, drawn from more than 120 nationalities across the world, whose hard work and commitment have earned for us an enviable reputation for excellence and innovation which we will continue to build on,” he added.
Etihad has a fleet of 63 aircraft, with over a hundred more on order. It has won numerous awards for the services it provides and is ranked sixth best airline in the world by industry watchdog Skytrax.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad announces new appointments
- Etihad expands India operations
- UAE hotel group launches Abu Dhabi project
- Jordan passenger traffic up 14pc
- Self-service check-in soon at Kuwait airport
- Gulf Air launches flight to Al Maktoum airport
- Jazeera Airways tops on-time performance
- Jumeirah inks Oman luxury resort deal
- Ritz unveils big Qatar National Day offer
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct