Etihad to buy stake in top German carrier
Frankfurt, December 6, 2011
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, plans to take a minority stake in Germany's second-biggest carrier Air Berlin via a capital increase, Manager Magazin reported on its website, citing industry sources.
Air Berlin will announce this week that Etihad, the magazine said.
It said Air Berlin's board would hold a meeting on Wednesday to discuss the matter.
'There will be a normal board meeting that has been planned for months, at which the company's results will be discussed,' said an Air Berlin spokesman who declined further comment.
Shares of Air Berlin rose as much as 5.7 per cent and were up 3.7 per cent at 2.58 euros by 1408 GMT.
German media reported two weeks ago that Air Berlin, Germany's No.2 after Lufthansa, was looking for a partner and was in talks with both Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and China's HNA Group, owner of Hainan Airlines.
Air Berlin has had a rocky ride so far this year, with founder and Chief Executive Joachim Hunold stepping down in August after failing to deliver profit for several years.
The company already has several major shareholders. Turkey's ESAS Holding, owned by the Sabanci family, has a 16.5 per cent stake and TUI Travel Plc holds 6.9 per cent, according to Air Berlin's website. – Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares